Blueprint of the First Home

My first home began soft.
Tan carpet under my feet,
the kind that held warmth
and made every step feel familiar.
The living room was everything a home should be —
safe, loving, whole —
a place where laughter didn’t echo,
it settled gently, like dust in sunlight.

The kitchen was white tile and brightness,
never a room for anger,
never a place where voices rose.
It was where Mom made games out of cleaning
because her body couldn’t keep up,
and where I learned that love sometimes looks like
trying anyway.

My bedroom was just a room,
but their room was sanctuary.
Every night I slipped between them,
safe instantly,
held by the quiet rhythm of their breathing
and the hum of the AC that never failed us.
They always knew I was there.
They always let me stay.

The house smelled like her perfume,
his cologne,
and the faint sweetness of Florida humidity
that clung to everything.
It smelled like childhood —
the kind you don’t realize you’re losing
until it’s gone.

The yard was joy.
Pure, uncomplicated joy.
Me and Dad planting everything we could convince the soil to hold —
lemons, grapefruits, roses, pineapples, tomatoes,
banana trees, orange trees, eggplants, watermelon.
A whole world growing because he wanted me
to have something beautiful.
My cousin’s laughter lived out there too,
bright and wild,
the kind of sound that made time feel bigger.

Then Mom died.
And I grew up fast —
faster than any kid should.
Dad tried to give me childhood back,
tried to fill the empty spaces with theme parks
and road trips
and memories that didn’t hurt.
He tried so hard.
He really did.

And then he died.
And the house changed shape.
The living room that once felt like a heartbeat
went quiet in a way that wasn’t peaceful.
The air felt wrong.
The walls felt unfamiliar.
Safety evaporated.
Home became a place I couldn’t return to
without feeling the absence like a bruise.

I only went back once.
The silence hit first —
a silence that didn’t belong to the house I grew up in.
It felt like walking into a memory
that didn’t remember me.

Still, some things stayed sacred.
Mom’s blanket.
Her pillowcase.
The smell of them —
the last proof that love lived there once.

My first home wasn’t perfect,
but it was mine.
It was soft before it broke.
It held me before it let me go.
And even now,
when I close my eyes,
I can still feel tan carpet under my feet,
still hear the AC humming,
still smell their warmth in the air.

A blueprint made not of walls,
but of love,
loss,
and the girl who learned to survive both.

-𝕃ℝ 🖤 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R̶e̶d̶ Green Flags

The List No One Admits Exists

Who Prays For Satan?