The Weight of the Fog

You hold me, and I try to press my forehead into your shoulder,
searching for the anchor I used to rely on when the world got loud.

But your arms feel polite now, careful and light,
like you are holding something you’ve already decided to set down.

I lean into you anyway, drinking in the small, fading mercy of it,
knowing every second is a leaf falling from a dying tree.

It is a lonely thing to love someone who is half-gone.
To sit at the same table, pass the same bread,
and feel an entire ocean expanding between two chairs.

I don't pull you closer; I don't beg the tide to turn.
I just gather the cold pieces of this fading warmth,
wrap them tight around my shivering ribs,
and learn how to mourn a love
that hasn't even left the house yet.

-LR 🖤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R̶e̶d̶ Green Flags

The List No One Admits Exists

Who Prays For Satan?